Sunday, March 10, 2013

Smell

Perfume - One of the best results of human creativity.
I bought first perfume only about seven years back. But this was not the first time, i saw or used a perfume. My mother used to have a small bottle of sandalwood oil, this she said was the most costly perfume.
As a child, i was never allowed to open this or even touch it. It was kept with all the costly sarees and the sarees smelled of sandalwood.
Then came the first biggest event of our lives.For my sisters marriage, we decided to buy a perfume. We (Me , my cousin, my sister) decided that we should really savor the experience of choosing one. We were still in a city without too many malls unlike today. We went to a shop in city, this I remember was a small shop, but was an exclusive perfume shop.We were understanding how to smell perfume - smell coffee beans in-between, then smell the strip - during this shopping . Finally we selected - Burberry Touch.
The interesting thing is that since we bought this for my sister's marriage, every time I relish this fragrance, it reminds me of a great personal occasion, of celebrations.
This was just the starting of my perfume world. Then I started reading and understanding the science of perfume. The list of chemicals made me reluctant from using it directly on skin.
The next perfume i got was a gift for my birthday.One of my best friend understood my craving for  perfume and got me Calvin Klein Euphoria. I used this as a daily perfume , i used to wear it for work. I am past 2 bottles of 200ml by now, still have a new one UN-opened in my wardrobe. The fragrance is associated with work, every time I wear it I feel more professional.
Meanwhile, my friend bought Hugo Boss , I loved it in first instance. Soon I bought one too and in the later years, this was my "special occasion in office perfume." After few years my love for perfume was raised to a different level.
When I was returning back from my visit to USA, I went to Macy's and ended up buying - Armani Code, the lady in Macy's gave me a pack of small testers.
After about three months, I went again and this time, I bought a Sarah Jessica Parker brand perfume and tried one more Ralph Lauren brand and a Hermes.
I had become so much of  a perfume "Maniac", i ended up buying the Ralph Lauren perfume at my transit in Singapore.
Today, each of the fragrances mean something to me - they remind me of events,  one is for big happy occasions, other one is a happy work day, one more for something special at work. Few are stashed away for some future occasions. The sense of smell is so powerful , all of these fragrances bring back memories every time, some good some bad.I am not sure how, but it seems like brain does a match the following with smell Vs occasion. Anytime I smell Burnt Nilgiri leaves, it reminds me of the small town of my father, which we used to visit once in a while during occasions.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this and I still reminisce our purchase when I move past that shop in gandhi bazaar. Slowly getting used to perfumes( wrongly called as scent by me earlier!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, perfume is richness :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, perfume is richness :)

    ReplyDelete