Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fishes

Every time there was a program related to the first and foremost species on earth - Fish, on Discover or NGC, I used to switch channel.After one or two watches of the Whales and Sharks, I had lost the interest in programs which dealt deep with Fish and their species.
I picked the book - "The old man and the Sea" by Ernest  Hemmingway. This was a short story. The book is about 3-4 days of life of a fisherman and how he deals with his realities.
The writing style is no simple and the story so good that I used to read this book like a piece of sweet , slowly , repeating the reads and limited pages per read. I took close to 15 days to complete the 100 pages book.
This book brought back my interest in Fishes. For somebody who does not know anything about fishing, the writer takes us through the toughest and most dangerous encounter of a fisher man and gives you a glimpse of their daily life. There is no romance, no suspense, no crime, no bad guy or good guy, its a plain story of fishing. The book introduced me to a new species of fish - Marlin and post this book, my interest has changed.
Now every time there is a program related to fish - Monster Fish, Sharp hunters etc, I watch them.
One thing I ponder though is whether it is really required for our scientist to trouble the fishes, insert tags into them every time they get one. Only science can justify the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment