Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fermented Salted and Flavoured Chillies

First let me explain what a salted and flavoured chilly is. For those of you who come from the southern part of India, it is called  as "BalakaDa MenasinaKai"(to be fried chilly),"UupMenasinakai"(Salted chilly) .
It adds flavour and is a must for making some of the specific type of sambars and on every foodie Sunday.

The way to prepare this is to get fresh green chillies, cut them right in the middle only on one side, so that you make some space to fill salt. Mix, Jeera or cumin seeds, Asofoetida or hing to the salt and grind it to fine powder. Fill this into the chilly. Dry the chilly in sun for 3-4 days. You then have the so called Salted, flavoured chilly. The Salt reduces the hotness of chilly, the spices add flavour. You need to deep fry this in oil to golden brown and it is ready to be used similar to a pickle with rice and sambar.

OK..... So far I explained the procedure and how to make the chillies.

Now, this is a sunday in the Month of November when the whether is cold - mornings are very sunny , but evenings are cold.We usually don't expect any rains. I went to a farmer's market nearby and saw that the chilly was looking good - fresh, succulent and green.
I bought a good one Kilogram.
With all my enthusiasm, I made the above preparation, all steps done exclusively by me alone - from washing, cutting, making the filling , filling and drying.
2 days later, I was happy to see the result, they were creamish colored with strains of green, they just needed one more day of Sun  to be the perfect little ones.

But how can god be happy always!!! He started crying the next day by mid noon.
It started drizzling , and then for the rest of the day it was cloudy. Now for some reason God was really upset and day after day for close to a week the skies were always cloudy. So much so that I was nostalgic about Seattle where I spent some time . Of course god had his reasons, his friend, The Arabian sea was angry and there was a cyclone.

Now the chillies were half dry . They are still drying as I am blogging, it is now close to 2 weeks since I prepared them. God seems getting better and I might have the perfect little late ones in a week or so.
This is the recipe of Fermented Salted Flavored Chillies - Exclusively by Gayathri and blessed by one and only God- the god of rains!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment